How to Make Scented Candles in 8 Easy Steps
Scented candles are a popular and affordable way to add fragrance to your home. Making your own candles at home is a fun and creative activity that can also save you money. In this blog, we’ll cover the steps you need to take to make scented candles.
Step 1: Gather Your Materials
To make scented candles, you’ll need the following materials:
- Wax: You can use paraffin wax, soy wax, or beeswax to make your candles. Paraffin wax is the most commonly used type of wax for candle making and is easy to work with. Soy wax is eco-friendly and burns cleanly, while beeswax is more expensive but has a natural fragrance.
- Wicks: You’ll need wicks to make your candles. Choose a wick that is suitable for the type of wax you’re using and the size of your candle.
- Fragrance oil: Fragrance oils are used to scent your candles. Choose a fragrance oil that you love and that is suitable for candle making.
- Containers: You’ll need containers to hold your candles. You can use glass jars, metal tins, or plastic containers to make your candles.
- Pouring pot: You’ll need a pouring pot to melt your wax and mix in the fragrance oil.
- Thermometer: A thermometer is used to monitor the temperature of your wax.
- Stirring stick: A stirring stick is used to stir your wax and fragrance oil.
Step 2: Melt Your Wax
To melt your wax, you’ll need to use a double boiler. Fill the bottom pot with water and place the pouring pot inside. Heat the water over low heat and add your wax to the pouring pot. Stir the wax until it’s fully melted.
Step 3: Add the Fragrance Oil
Once your wax is fully melted, add the fragrance oil to the wax. Use a thermometer to ensure that the temperature of the wax does not exceed 180°F. Stir the wax and fragrance oil until they are well combined.
Step 4: Prepare Your Container
While your wax is cooling, prepare your container by securing the wick in place. You can do this by using a wick sticker or by tying the wick around a pencil and placing it across the top of the container. Ensure that the wick is centered and straight.
Step 5: Pour the Wax into the Container
Once your wax has cooled to 130°F, pour the wax into the container. Fill the container to within 1/4 inch of the top. Allow the wax to cool completely.
Step 6: Trim the Wick
Once the wax has cooled, trim the wick to 1/4 inch. This will help ensure that your candle burns evenly and safely.
Step 7: Repeat the Process
Repeat the process to make as many candles as you like. Experiment with different fragrances, colors, and container sizes to create a variety of scented candles.
Step 8: Store Your Candles Properly
Once your candles are made, store them in a cool, dry place until you’re ready to use them. Keep them away from direct sunlight and heat sources to ensure that they last as long as possible.
In conclusion, making scented candles at home is a fun and creative activity that can add fragrance to your home and save you money. By following these steps, you can make your own scented candles and enjoy their warm, inviting glow and fragrance. Happy candle making!